Do I have protein overload?
The tell-tale signs of protein overload seem to be split ends and limp strands. Hair that feels brittle (and snaps) or sheds more than is normal for you can also be signs.
Firstly, look through your products for these ingredients...
- Hydrolyzed collagen
- Wheat, quinoa, or soy protein
- Silk protein
- Oat flour
- Amino acids
Once you have identified what products have protein in them, we suggest not using them until you have rectified the issue. Don't stop using protein all together, you can incorporate them back in if needed, but while you are trying to rid of the overload, shelve those products for a little while.
What next? Moisture baby! Have a read through our steps and recommendations on products.
- First, you need to cleanse/clarify your mane! This will help to get rid of any protein build up in your curls, waves and coils. Try this product. Clarify at least once every week or 2 for a while to continue to strip excess protein.
- Get moisture back into your curls, we suggest hydrating shampoo, conditioner and a mask. You can grab a bundle here of all the products you need to instill moisture into your curls.
- Up your deep conditioning to weekly, our favourite is this product here.
- Use less product when styling for a little while, until your curls bounce back.
Looking for a complete clarifying regime, try the clarifying bundle here