If you are here, you have probably already tried the Curly Girl Method, and that's not to say that we don't think it's a great method to use, we used it when we were embracing our curls too, but we do not think it's the be all and end all of natural curly hair.
WHAT IS CGM?
The CGM was created by Lorraine Massey, and I don't think she ever thought that hundreds of thousands of people around the world would get involved. But they did. But that also means MANY things were changed, people added their own opinions and sooner or later the whole method was complicated, super expensive to figure out and really really strict.
We have been in the forums and the groups, and they can be super nasty and full of rules nobody understands. At the end of the day...it's hair, it's on YOUR body, it should be YOUR rules, right?
I spent years researching products and we have come a long way here at Boss Curl Co. a lot of products being recommended on CGM here in Australia were not always cruelty free or Australian made, and it was something I was concerned with. So at Boss Curl Co. we created a lot of our own products to make sure we we're happy with where our products were manufactured, and we knew what was going into them!
WHAT I DID:
The GOOD thing about the CGM is that it is an amazing movement that is encouraging people to embrace and celebrate their curls, there are a lot of things about the CGM that I personally do not do...
- I do not co-wash, I personally believe that we need to use a shampoo to get rid of any build up.
- I brush my hair when it is dry still, i just prefer to get rid of knots when it is dry opposed to wet. Detangle with our detangled for best results.
- I do not diffuse my hair on a cool setting of the hair dryer, does ANYBODY have 3 hours to do this? Not I! Our favourite diffuser is here.
- I use our hair wrap instead of a t-shirt to plop, micro plop and in general use while I am doing my makeup.
- The bowl method...again....does one have the time for that?
- I don't get hung up on frizz or 1 strict method, I follow our CURL KITS & very own Frizz Off, Boss Curl, Quickie and Refresh methods and change it up every wash day!
At the end of the day, the CGM can be super confusing to follow, and here at Boss Curl Co. we do not take on all of these practices but we definitely have our own methods that are tried and tested, and a lot less strict!
So, if you want to embrace and celebrate your natural curls, one of our curl kits can DEFINITELY teach you how to do that, and give you all the product you need!
BEFORE & AFTERS