Well, we are glad you asked! Why should we clarify our hair? Product build up can clog the hair follicles, preventing growth. Clarifying is essential if you use oils, or products that contain oils and butters. In general it’s just good practice to add clarifying to your wash at least once every 2-3 weeks.
WHAT DO I USE THOUGH?
It’s so hard to know what product is going to work well for curly hair, because ultimately if you are going to use products on your hair and it’s curly, we try to avoid a few things…sulfates, silicones, drying alcohols and parabens. A lot of shampoos out there don’t make the CG approved cut but at Boss Curl Co, all of our BCC range products are approved yay!
The Boss Curl Co Clarifying Shampoo & Conditioner gently cleanses your hair, instantly delivering a smoother texture and a cleaner, fresh feeling. Our unique formula ensures the removal of product build up whilst its gentleness allows for continual, everyday application. We personally wash our hair with all of the BCC range, and use the Clarifying Shampoo & Conditioner every 3rd/4th wash.
SIGNS YOU MAY NEED TO CLARIFY:
- You swim. Either in the pool with chlorine or salt, or in the ocean
- Hair feels weighed down
- You have fine or low density hair
- Hair is no longer absorbing your products, especially conditioning or moisturising products
- Dry, itchy, flaky scalp and/or dandruff
- Frizz - People assume frizz is due to a lack of moisture. But it can also be a sign of product build up.
- Oily, greasy roots even after using a co-wash or low poo
- You’re loosing more hair than usual. Product build up can clog the hair follicles, preventing growth and causing hair loss.
- A dull, film-like residue on your scalp and hair. Sometimes tiny white flakes all the way down the hair strand.
- Your hair is breaking more easily and regularly than usual
- Limp, lifeless curls lacking bounce and definition
- Your hair is getting progressively drier, sometimes even straw-like
- You live in a hard water area – key signs are your kettle, taps and shower head are full of limescale, and your skin feels really dry and parched when you get out the shower/bath.
- You only co-wash
- Hair still feels dirty, greasy, oily or full of product after you’ve washed it
- You’ve got low porosity hair. This hair type suffers from product build up more than other porosity hair types. Clarifying is essential for low porosity curlies!